Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Early Math Materials and Pedagogy

For several years, when I was a young father, my daughter and I took an enormous amount of pleasure in working together on early math.

In the process, I used and developed a series of graduated activities to enable her to learn increasingly advanced concepts at her own pace. 

The primary goal was always to develop "number sense," an intuitive feel for numbers and how they behave. Efforts at memorization came only after concepts made "sense" and were fully internalized.

Now that I'm a proud grandfather of another little girl, I recently reviewed early outlines of these activities, principally for my own recollection, but also so that I could recreate these happy experiences with my daughters daughter.

Interested parents or grandparents are welcome to download my rough notes here and here for their own use in beginning or supplementing early math education within their own families.

I hope you and your young ones have as much fun exploring early math as we did.

[Addendum, December 2022: My efforts as my child's first math teacher paid off. She graduated with math can computer science degrees from Wesleyan University, and now works as a senior software engineer at Meta (Instagram).]

-----


Copyright © 2006-present: Christopher R. Borland. All rights reserved.

No comments: