Thursday, February 01, 2024

Teachers are Quitting

It seems our schools are always in trouble for this reason or that one. 

This was not at all the case when I was a boy in the 1960’s. California public schools, K-College, were unquestionably the best in the world, and all were levels were free or very low cost. So it’s especially hard for boomers like myself to see the kite hit the ground like this.

As a private academic coach for more that 45 years, I’ve tried to figure out what went wrong. I still don’t know, after all these years.

And now, a sobering new trend is emerging. Teachers are leaving K-12 schools in droves.

The reasons are many and various. But what I hear over and over again is that they boil down to several core issues: low salary, poor mental health, toxic work cultures, unsupportive administrations, lack of respect inside and outside school, lack of authority in the classroom, and out of control students and parents.

I have no answer, but I do have suggestions. At a minimum:

Pay teachers like doctors, require the same achievement, give them the same respect inside and outside schools, and weed out poor teachers (the Finnish approach); give teachers back-up they need and deserve within schools hierarchies; return classroom authority to teachers; allow sensible grading and disciplinary procedures, including compassionately but unapologetically holding back students who don’t meet grade level standards; a teacher-aid in every classroom; effective protection against parent-zillas think their little Johnny can do no wrong; make it unnecessary for teachers to buy learning supplies their students need; and provide enough public funding to pay for all this, realizing that doing so is less expensive than not.

For further information, I recommended the following:

I quit teaching for better mental health: former teachers share the jobs they got after teaching

Why Teachers Quit: Lack of respect, abominable working conditions, and more.

After Teaching For 11 Years, I Quit My Job. Here's Why Your Child's Teacher Might Be Next.

I quit my job as a teacher after 6 years to work in tech sales. I make $20,000 more ...and am so much happier now.

Teachers Who Quit Are Sharing The Moment They Realized It Wasn't For Them

Why Teachers Quit + Top Signs Quitting Teaching Is The Right Move

-----


Copyright © 2006-present: Christopher R. Borland. All rights reserved.


No comments: